A guide to Hong Kong Profit Tax Return


Hong Kong's allure for entrepreneurs is due in no small part to its straightforward tax regulations and low tax rates. In this guide, we'll delve into the essential aspects of filing profit tax returns for businesses operating in Hong Kong, ensuring that you're well-equipped to navigate the process smoothly.

Unraveling the Complexity

Taxation can be perplexing, and you needn't tackle it alone. The experienced accountants at G.O.C are ready to guide you through the process. Discover our Hong Kong Accounting & Tax service today and ease your journey.

Understanding Profits Tax Return

The Profits Tax Return is a crucial component of Hong Kong's tax framework. It encompasses income tax charged on a company's profits generated within the region. While most entities in Hong Kong, including businesses, professions, and individuals, are subject to this tax, profits from capital asset sales are excluded.

Filing Process and Requirements

The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) plays a pivotal role by issuing profits tax return forms annually in April to active businesses in Hong Kong. Here's a snapshot of key requirements to keep in mind:

- Newly registered companies must file profits tax returns 18 months from the commencement or incorporation date.

- Corporations should submit profits tax return form (BIR51) along with audited financial statements.

- Small corporations and dormant companies need only complete Form BIR51 and requisite supplementary forms. Audited financial statements aren't mandatory for them, but the data in Form BIR51 should align with audited financial statements.

- Businesses transitioning from a partnership to sole proprietorship within a year should report their profit & loss for the entire year in Form BIR52.

Submission Deadlines

Profits tax return forms and supplementary documents should be submitted within one month from the date of issuance.

Extensions and Non-Compliance

For those unable to meet the one-month deadline, there's a solution. The IRD offers a Circular Letter at the start of the year, detailing the Block Extension Scheme. This enables representatives to apply for an extension or update details.

Non-compliance attracts penalties and fines. The maximum penalty is HK$100,000, with an additional fine three times the undercharged amount. Moreover, imprisonment of up to 3 years could be imposed.

Takeaways for Success

- IRD issues profits tax return forms each April, varying based on your company type.

- Supplementary forms (like BIR52 or BIR54) can help you leverage preferential regimes and tax incentives.

- Submission deadlines are strict, requiring action within a month of issuance.

- Extensions are possible, especially through the Block Extension Scheme, ensuring flexibility.

- Non-compliance can lead to significant penalties, with imprisonment and fines up to HK$100,000.

Simplify and Succeed

Rather than grappling with complex tax paperwork, consider delegating it to us. G.O.C specializes in back-office tasks like accounting, bookkeeping, incorporation, and company secretarial tasks. This enables you to focus on growing your business, unburdened by administrative concerns.


Hong Kong's tax landscape need not be daunting. With this comprehensive guide and the expertise of G.O.C's accountants, you're well-prepared to navigate the intricacies of profit tax return filing. Ensure compliance, seize opportunities, and empower your business to thrive in this dynamic environment.

Disclaimer: This guide serves as a reference tool and should not substitute legal advice. For tailored guidance, consult G.O.C's customer services. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Have Your Question?

Send us your questions. Our experts will answers.

Ask your question


Our support gurus are here to help you solve all your challenges.. Check out our FAQs, send us an email, or give us a call.


Ask your question

Ready to register ?

Start your company registration today through our secure simple online form which will take you less than 5 minutes.